A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Thursday, May 06, 2010

_Kick-Ass_ Tops Adult GN Sales Charts

The graphic novel version of Kick-Ass is riding high on the sales charts following the release of the movie, selling well over 100,000 copies now. I finally bought a copy of the GN and have to admit to liking the movie treatment better.

This sales ranking is good news because it offers some evidence that graphic novels sales might experience a mini "Watchmen bump" that might help the industry have a productive quarter again.

I'm also very frustrated that folks keep comparing Kick-Ass's box office take and sales-driving abilities with that of Watchmen. As a film, Kick-Ass is probably a better piece than Watchmen, which I think has aged well and may eventually be considered a better film than critics originally labeled it, but as comics, Kick-Ass is nowhere near as important or as good a text as Watchmen. So, the comparisons -- just because both take on the "What if supers were real" aspect and have an indy feel to them -- are bogus and unfair.

Watchmen: one of the most important books of the 20th century. Kick-Ass? Fun fanboy candy with an introduction by Rob Leifeld.




1 comment:

Ben Villarreal said...

Absolutely, I agree, haha! I just read the book, as well, after seeing the movie, and I was definitely left wanting. Not only is the movie better at telling the story, it's certainly a more relevant work--though, I agree, given a few more screenings, I may come around to liking the Watchmen flick.

Actually, when I reviewed the Kick-Ass movie at my blog, the post evolved from a positive review of the film, to an explanation for why it might be the best superhero movie ever :-)