A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Thursday, May 21, 2009

New Book on Teaching Graphic Novels Forthcoming!

I'm happy to share with you the news that Maupin House has begun advertising for Katie Monnin's new book on teaching graphic novels. Aptly entitled Teaching Graphic Novels: Practical Strategies for the Secondary ELA Classroom, the book will be available in the fall of 2009 and is described as "the only resource to offer secondary ELA teachers classroom-based, standards-aligned strategies they can apply today" (though some may argue that "only").

Maupin has set up a blog to help get the word out about the book. I'm hoping they'll send me an advance copy so I can sing its praises -- maybe they'll even let me do a back cover blurb! Visit the promotional blog here.

The book should establish Katie as an important scholar in the comics-and-literacy field. She and I have been doing some collaborative work lately, and I hope to get to work with her more in the future. Please keep an eye and an ear out for more information on this title as it becomes available.

I'll certainly let you know my thoughts on it here when I can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Carter,
Any info on when I can pre-order it? Sounds like a great resource for my research!
Thanks, Cira

Bucky C. said...

Visit Maupin House and see what they say about pre-ordering. I'm sure there's a number you can call if you click the title to this post.