A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My First Award as a Tenure-Track Scholar!

At the inaugural Graphica in Education conference in NYC this weekend, I was honored to receive the first-ever Fordham GSE Graphica Excellence in Education Award for my work on helping teachers understand how and why comics and graphic novels can be used in the classroom. I've got a nice certificate coming my way and everything!

I appreciate the award, but having my name called while sitting next to Michael Bitz was a little tough, as when the conference organizers told me a few days before the conference that they'd need me to stick around to help with an award, I assumed they wanted my input on who should win it and I actually mentioned Dr. Bitz as the first person who came to mind due to his excellent work with the Comic Book Project. So, in my mind, I'm sharing it with him, with hopes that he'll get his own flashy certificate as the conference grows in future years.

I can't wait to share the news with my colleagues at UTEP, and if I can, I'll post pix and press reviews of the conference as they become available.