A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Monday, February 23, 2009

Article in Educational Leadership 66(6)

Check out my article in the March 09 edition of Educational Leadership. Sure, they put the graphic novel article in an issue with 3 sixes associated with it, but it is not a bad read. I finally got some things off my chest about how some perceive GN's, and I tried to move us beyond the "define then give examples" stage, though I still had to do some of that too.

The article was retitled "Going Graphic: Understanding what graphic novels are -- and aren't -- can help teachers make the best use of this literary form." The phrase "going graphic" is one of many graphic novel article title cliches, unfortunately, but besides that, I was happy with the tightness of the copy editing, etc. And they added pictures, which really made it pop.

It's pretty cool to be in a journal with James Gee, Howard Gardner, Michael Levine, etc. And this publication focuses on principal types, which represent a powerful but less-frequently targeted audience when it comes to getting educators thinking about sequential art in the classroom.

No comments: